- 4 pieces of pork osso buco (approximately 200 g each)
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) all purpose flour
- 1 cup of each, carrots, onion and celery, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, whole and peeled
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 6 Italian tomatoes from the can + 1/2 cup tomato juice from the can
- 2 cups veal or poultry stock
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1/2 cup Beaurivage dark maple syrup
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Rub the pork shanks with salt and pepper,
and dredge flour over.
- Brown the meat for two minutes in butter on each side or until it is golden-coloured.
- Stir in the carrots, celery, onion and garlic.
- Cook for about two minutes.
- Deglaze with the wine and reduce by half.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato juice, maple syrup, stock and rosemary.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil, put in the oven, and cook covered for two hours.
- Remove from oven, make sure the meat is cooked; tender, but still holding to the bone. It should then be handled with care.
- Remove the meat and set aside.
- Purée the cooking jus and vegetables until a uniform texture is obtained. Adjust the seasoning of the sauce.